Posts filed under 'printing'

Sometimes Business Takes a Backseat to Staying Sane

Add comment September 27th, 2017

I think I’ve mentioned in the past that I only turn over cross-platform, printer-ready PDFs to clients. It’s what I arrive at by job’s end that they pay for; and I spell that out in every contract I write. Perhaps because I worked that day job for over 32 years in New York’s Unified Court System, I use the attorney’s phrase “work product” to describe the InDesign and Quark files I create to get to those PDFs at job’s end.

But I just ran into a situation that made me rethink this position of mine.

I’ve been working on the book Veritas Pictura, a book of some 300+ photos illustrating a series of philosophical questions that are then answered by thinkers from many different walks of life. Or maybe it’s the other way around: it’s a book that delves into some of life’s questions using a kind of Socratic method, punctuated by those 300+ vivid photographs. Either way, the book is a very interesting bit of work.

I’ve been working on this one for a while, since Valentine’s Day, February 14, of this year, when I began editing photos. It proved an opportunity to hone some of my Photoshop skills—in particular, Selecting—and I sharpened my ability to edit out and drop in elements of photos.

Then there was a break of a couple of a few months while the author finished writing and the final editing was done. Aside from some back and forth fixes the printer needed, my end of things was completed.

Until today.

Today, much to my client’s consternation and not just mine, the printer said certain pieces of art used on the jacket, were low-resolution. So, of course, I started by checking what my client had sent me and found that they were the requisite 300 dpi. Next I looked at the art placed in my actual InDesign file for the jacket. Same thing: 300 dpi.

In a burst of flexibility, I packaged the InDesign doc for the jacket, the fonts used, and the images the 300 dpi images they say are “lo-res” and sent them to the printer. Perhaps they can find some issue I’m unaware of that’s causing the problem they see. That’s not something I plan to make a habit of doing, but in this case, when it’s simply not clear to me what they’re talking about I think that is the prudent step.

The Perils of Ink Coverage

Add comment December 3rd, 2015

You might think that after almost 24 years as a freelance book designer/layout artist the odds of a totally new (to me) hassle in sending PDFs to a printer were, well, nonexistent. Except that there’s always something new to learn.

A few weeks ago I finished the layout of a children’s book. The client had approved and so I uploaded the PDFs to her printer, Ingram Spark. It was a weekend, so I didn’t hear back from my client until the following Monday. She told me the PDFs had been rejected because the total ink coverage was too high and that she really didn’t understand what that was all about.

So I went to the Ingram Spark site and nosed around my client’s account, found the file and the error message. Sure enough, it said that the total ink coverage of the front cover and various pages exceeded 240%.

Okay, so what that means, briefly, is that the “formula” that makes up any color in the CMYK (Cyan Magenta Yellow blacK) model must add up to less than 240. When the number exceeds 240, the site informed, it can cause cracking of the ink on the page because that ink is so heavy on the paper. Below is a screenshot that shows a spread from the book, along with InDesign’s Separations Preview, indicating the percentage of each of the four color inks (again, Cyan Magenta Yellow blacK) that make up a color on the printed page.

whole_spread

You may not make it out but the blue highlighted areas in the small box in the center show the percentages of each color of an area of the red dress of the figure poking out of the whole on the left-hand page of the spread. Below is that Separations Preview blown up a bit so you can clearly see the numbers.

sep_prev

The total, you’s notice on the top line, “CMYK,” is 242%. Rejected.

What to do?

I admit, the first thing I thought about was to monkey around with the color until I got the individual percentages to add up to a number below 240. But I quickly realized that wouldn’t fly because the art had been done by someone else and approved by my client as is. More to the point, however, that was just one speck of one image. What about the rest of the image? And all the other pages? So I took the easy way out and googled “total ink coverage.” I found a great piece by David Blatner, “Force Color Image to CMYK with a 240% Ink Limit”, on the InDesignSecrets site. In it was a link to a color profile for keeping the total ink coverage within 240%.

I was able to download Mr. Blatner’s “simple” profile, import it into InDesign, and select it for the children’s book I was working on.

As I said in my comment to Mr. Blatner, “ … saved my skin … .”

 

 


Search

Latest Posts

Calendar

November 2017
M T W T F S S
« Sep    
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930  

Posts by Month


Most Recent Posts

Posts by Category

Syndication


Small Press Exchange Top Sites List